Saturday, February 4, 2012

What is my independent and dependent variable?

I am doing a research topic in which I will conduct a survey about (in a class) and I am a little unsure as to what my dependent and independent variables are. My question is: Is there is a link between level of masculinity and the tendency of an individual to participate in, or enjoy the idea of, risky behavior?





What would be my variables? I am really unsure, I have always struggled with this for some reason!!What is my independent and dependent variable?
Im doing sociology to and just did an exam on the same sort of thing



The independent variable is the thing which you change, e.g. the level of masculinity



The dependent variable is the thing which changes as a result of changing your independent variable, e.g. the tendency of an individual to participate in, or enjoy the idea of, risky behavior will changeWhat is my independent and dependent variable?
The difficult thing is to develop a good measure of both concepts. Ideally, you would find out how other researchers have measured these concepts and try to use their measures (assuming there is some consensus about how to measure them). If you鈥檙e going to produce some contingency tables, you鈥檒l want to make sure that you have some good categories 鈥?perhaps a likert scale.
  • blue mask
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment