Friday, January 20, 2012

What is the independent and dependent variable in this experiment?

I have a science project on common beliefs. I tested my common belief , buttered bread always lands on the buttered side. It landed on the buttered side 12 times out of 20. In order for me to fill out my worksheet before I can start my poster board I need to know how to answer the questions on the worksheet....so what is the independent variable + dependent variable in this project? do I need to do something myself to find it?



THANK YOU IN ADVANCE! (:What is the independent and dependent variable in this experiment?
dependent variable. a variable that depends on the value of another variable

independant variable. a variable that can be changed during the experiment

********
dependent variables are usually measured
independent variables are usually set

********
********
in the bread and butter experiment..

let's say you took 100 slices of bread. then..
(1).. used a sharpie to label the sides A and B.
(2).. buttered side A of 50 of them.
(3).. Tossed them all up in the air.
(4)... measure the amount of times A was face up

and saw these results...
A was face up 18 times with the buttered bread
A was face up 25 times with the unbuttered bread...

your dependent varible is whether or not the bread was buttered
your independent variable is number of times A was face up.

*********
I would be nice if you repeated the experiment a have dozen times or so and had statistics to back up your results. You should also propose a theory about why buttered bread lands butter side down. something like density of bread vs butter. objects orient themselves heavy side down in a gravitational field.. etc

No comments:

Post a Comment