Friday, January 20, 2012

Can somebody explain to me what a dependent variable and independent variable are?

If I am doing an experiment on the effect of coffee on plants.... What would be the dependent %26amp; independent variable?Can somebody explain to me what a dependent variable and independent variable are?
Independent variables answer the question "What do I change"

Dependent variables answer the question "What do I observe"

Controlled variables answer the question "What do I keep the same"





A bit more detail into would be:

A dependent variable is what you measure in the experiment and what is affected during the experiment. The dependent variable responds to the independent variable. It is called dependent because it "depends" on the independent variable. In a scientific experiment, you cannot have a dependent variable without an independent variable

%26amp;%26amp;%26amp;

An independent variable is a factor that can be varied or manipulated in an experiment (e.g. time, temperature, concentration, etc). It is usually what will affect the dependent variable

No comments:

Post a Comment